Monday, June 20, 2011

Interview with Eric of Blasphemation

Blasphemation Interview:


Joe/Cryptic Inscriptions: First off I want to thank you Eric for doing this interview. Give a brief history of Blasphemation, why did you choose the name and what is the message behind the band?

Eric- I started this project in 2000, after getting burnt out with working with other people and compromising my music. I chose the name Blasphemation because I thought it sounded unique. I wouldn't say that I have a message, more just a goal to make the most disgustingly disturbing music I can create.

Joe- Do you consider the Blasphemation more of an aggressive industrial/power electronics band or do you go by a different tag or do you just disregard tags all together?

Eric- I would say the most fitting tag for Blasphemation would be industrial death metal. I have picked up other influences over time (grindcore, goregrind, black metal), but even the latest stuff is still industrial death metal.

Joe- What do you all use to come up with the soundscapes for the band? Is it all electronic based or do you use other instruments?

Eric-I will use just about anything to make noise and effects, not so much live instruments even, samples, digital drums and so on. I'll manipulate anything until it sounds completely different, a lot of effects and filter distortions.

Joe- Are the lyrics on the albums based around concepts or do you just write about different subjects and put it on a record?
There are some recurring concepts on all the albums. I prefer to write track by track and generally don't carry ideas from one song to the next.


Joe- I know you’ve played live several times with Blasphemation when was your last gig? How did the crowd respond and what’s the best word you can use to describe a Blasphemation live show?

Eric-The most recent show was about six months ago, I played the Brass Mug in Tampa at a battle of the bands. That show was kind of awkward for me because there were of underage kids who were not really familiar with the concept of musicians working outside the typical band format. I have found this every time I've played to an audience, people either get it or they don't.

Joe- Have you always done the band as a solo project? Or have you had help of others on the releases? Do you plan on getting other members for the band in the future?

Eric- I've gotten help from friends and family on every release, especially my wife Kelly, she's been the probably been the biggest help over the years. In the end, it's my project. I come up with all the track concepts, track arrangements, volumes, and I do a lot of sampling. When I do feel it's necessary, I like working with guest musicians one on one and incorporate them on a track or two. I feel that it helps to round out the music.


Joe- You’ve done several releases a lot of them downloadable. What’s your opinion on the music becoming more digital and less hardcopy? Do you think it’s ruining the scene helping It out per say?

Eric- It's helping out from my perspective. Weather we like it or not, the world is becoming more digitized, and less tangible, so albums being available for download is a sign of the times. I'll admit I prefer having a CD or cassette copy of an album over a digital album, but when there are no other options, digital is fine. I do admit through, there is a certain rush to getting a new CD, opening it for the first time and listening to it that I miss with a digital album, but is it hurting the scene? No, digital is normally much cheaper, and more available, so I think it helps the music in the end.

Joe- If you could pick a literary piece of art to describe Blasphemation what would it be i.e.: Graphic novel, comic, sonnet, poetry?

Eric- I'd compare it to "Tales From the Crypt" comics

Joe- If you could do a live collaboration with a band what band would it be? Also would you prefer to do a collaboration with a band in the same genre or completely different?

Eric-Blasphemation is an almost entirely digital project, so I really couldn't say, live musicians don't fit into my vision for the project. Now as far as playing with a different band, I would really enjoy doing a kind of splatter/crusty grindcore. I think it would suit me, and would be a new challenge.

Joe- Do you have any other musical projects that you’re involved in? What do you hope to achieve musically as far as Blasphemation is concerned?

Eric- . I'm going to treat this as two different questions: As far as other projects go, there are a few things I am currently considering and working on at present, but nothing I have committed to discussing at this time. As far as what do I hope to achieve musically, it's just this simple: to never ease up or sound weak, continuing to become more and more over the top as I go.




Joe- Any last words for the readers? What’s up and coming as far as Blasphemation is concerned?

Eric- I'm just starting working on a new album, but I am currently working on printing up physical copies of what's already released from my label, Torn Flesh Records. These releases are meant for my die-hard fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment