Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Gaul "Self Titled" EP Review






  Gaul “Self titled” EP
I’ve heard a lot about Gaul before listening to this record, and after seeing them live, I was quite impressed by what I heard. The three piece outfit from Gainesville executes a fine mixture of black metal, doom, sludge and even post rock elements in their music. The vibe I got off the record was darkness, depression, despair and aggression all rolled into one. I like the band’s song structure of melodic passages followed by powerful doom and sludge heaviness. The chanting mantra on Departure was also pretty cool and added a ritualistic feel to the album. For me the melody seems to almost bring the heaviness out even better. The calm before the storm effect makes Gaul a force to be reckoned with. I can’t wait for the LP!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment